Flowers for Mom

Yesterday would have been my Mom and Dad's 42nd wedding anniversary. And it was rough. I think it ended up being even tougher than Mother's Day. That may have been because it was so close to Mother's Day. It may have been because it was the first time I visited my mom's grave since the funeral. But it was a really, really rough day.

I did my daily hospital visit to Dad. They had to do trach care while I was there, which can be hard to witness. While I was there, he told the respiratory guy I was the boss. And that he had just lost his other boss, which of course set off the faucet. Then he told me he needed me to do something for him. He asked me to please go buy flowers and put them on Mom's grave for him. They needed to be from him. This doesn't seem like much, unless you know my dad. He almost never bought my mom flowers. It was a running joke in our family. If dad bought my mom flowers, it was because he had done something massive. In fact, the one time that sticks out the most was the bouquet of gorgeous flowers he bought as an I'm sorry after he bought a brand new van. Those were the times he bought mom flowers.

I went to the local grocery store and bought a simple bouquet, because my mom liked simple things. She wasn't a woman who liked grand gestures. She wasn't a fan of overly ornate things. So I stuck with simple. Thankfully my aunt went with me because I don't think I could have faced this request alone. Because all I could think was normally flowers were reserved for when Dad knew he was going to be in trouble, and this time Mom wasn't going to be here to tell him off.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Home

2023 Musings

Another First