12.5 Hours

I spent 12.5 hours at the hospital today. My first interaction began at 4am when the nurse called to give me report on my dad's status. He had a really rough night. And once I was up, I may as well stay up, so I got ready and headed down. While on my way I got another call letting me know they were taking him down to CT. I lost count midway through the day how many tests and procedures he had done today.

I will tell you that when I left, his vitals were stable, all 6 of his drains were operational, I witnessed my first NG tube placement today and I got to be a patient advocate. I also am a pro at mouth swabs and suctioning the moisture from the mouth swabs. I also know where all of the linens are kept, can wipe down faces like a pro and can stand my ground even when witnessing someone I love in pain or under duress.

Nothing tests your strength or your fortitude quite like necessity, but I'm grateful for every second that I am here. That I am able to be here and stand and read my dad's lips, or wipe down his face. Grateful that I can hold his hand while he is in pain or confused because he wasn't able to hear the doctor or nurses over his loud machines. I'm grateful to my time spent with knowledgeable, patient nurses who spent so much time teaching me over the last 8 years. Grateful that I understand so much of what is going on with limited explanation by the medical staff. Grateful for family and friends and their support.

And part of me is grateful that my mom never had to stand here and witness this happen to her husband. And the other parts of me would give anything for her to be here for me to come home to; to have her hug me and wipe away the tears that always find their way to me when the day is done. 

Comments

DEKowal said…
Your mom is right there beside/behind you giving you the strength that you need. Your 2 awesome parents have taught you well, and given you the Strength of Steel to get through this. For 2 years i was patient advocate, fought nurses, saw more things i never want to see again, it isn't easy. I pray you have the continued fortitude.
Love you !!
Thank you so much! Love you too ❤️

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Home

2023 Musings

So.Much.Crying