Appreciating the Little Ones

I am normally a busy person. I do best under pressure. Lately I have spent less time worrying about my household chores (my house is still cleaned, but looks a little more...lived in) and more time playing with the kids around me.

My nephew is 15 months old and recently began walking and talking up a storm. He's a complete terror and I absolutely adore him. I am lucky enough to only live a mile away from him but until recently didn't make as much of an effort as I should have to go and see him. I had work to do. Laundry that needed folded. Floors that needed swept. The last couple of weeks I have gone to see my nephew every couple of days. The laundry piled up a little. I'm pretty sure all three bathrooms need a serious scouring and I probably need to run the dishwasher. But the world didn't end.

So today when I had the option of going home or playing in a sandbox with a delightful 4 year old, I picked the sandbox. I got to shovel sand into a dump truck and make vroom vroom noises to the delight of one of the sweetest kids I know. I got kisses and hugs. And my heart felt full to bursting.

It was a nice reminder that spending time with loved ones is a delight, not a task to check off of a list. It felt right and it is helping to reinforce the one and only New Years Resolution I have ever kept: Be Happy.

In knitting news I have been bribing myself to finish older WIPs. My sweater has everything but one button band completed. My nephew's huge blankie needs only 3.5 more stripes (we will forget at the moment that means another 48ish rows) and I dug out the gift scarf I started sometime over the winter. I have to finish one old project before I'm allowed to cast on a new one. I'm getting close to meeting some of those goals!

Oh and a few days ago I finished my Vlad shawl. I knit this in Cascade Heritage sock yarn, one of my favorite yarns thanks to color choice and price point.





I'm also working on socks. They were going to be selfish knitting. Until my sister saw them. Since she was key in me getting a nephew and she's now pregnant again, I guess they have now become gift knitting. They are fun and stripey. They are a Trekking XXL yarn and I love how cheerful they are to knit.




Next up is trying to restrain from yarn buying since The Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs is coming up (on my birthday weekend! Squee!) and then soon after is Vogue Knitting Live in Chicago. That will be my first big knitting event and I'm anticipating spending too much money. I'm so excited! Now I just have to pick out buttons and have the sweater done in time for it!

Oh! And I am working on a new bedroom/craft room area. Hoping to be 90% done by the end of the holiday weekend! Pics soon!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Home

2023 Musings

A Red Gown