Snowy Days

 There are words swirling in my head.

Twisting and twirling

Drifting like the snowflakes

On the gusts outside.

There is a sense of melancholy 

Wrapped in anticipation.

Pictures forming of what might have been

What could have been

Maybe even what should have been.

Fully formed for mere moments

Then eroded 

The footsteps through the snow.

I look at my reflection and I see

I see what they see.

Just enough of you to wonder.

To remember and to wish

Memories that will flash and be captured

A perfectly formed snowflake 

Caught on a sleeve

Melting into a drop of water.

Almost recognized, almost seen

Becoming some other thing.

Smiles, hugs

Laughter.

The day after.

Unable to hold on to those snapshots of yesterday.

I miss you the most on days after

When the wind blows

When others look at me

And look for you.

An ache of what we all lost.

That we had to give you back too soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Home

2023 Musings

A Red Gown